Before the dive, follow these safe practices:
- Learn to dive with a qualified scuba instructor.
- Attend refresher courses.
- Plan your dive with your instructor.
- Carry an oxygen and first-aid kit, or check that one is available at the dive site.
- Do not forget your insurance membership card or emergency insurance, and check its expiration date.
- Plan a day free from diving after every 3 to 4 diving days.
- Eat moderately and drink adequately before a dive, avoiding alcohol. (Never dive with a hangover.)
- Hydration is critical for safe diving. Have a reusable water bottle handy.
- Undergo an annual medical exam. If you take medications or have underlying medical conditions, consult your physician before going on a dive.