The following are common boating terminology that you should become familiar with.
- Bow: front
- Stern: back
- Port side: left side when facing forward
- Starboard side: right side when facing forward
- Heads: bathroom or toilet (Ask how a marine head works before using it since it works differently!)
- Galley: kitchen
- Bridge/Helm/Wheelhouse: navigation station and steering area
- Captain/Skipper: The Boss (Listen carefully to him or her!)
The captain or crew will show you around the boat, tell you where to sit and stow your gear, and give you a full emergency briefing, which will include such items as location of and use of life vests, life boats, emergency oxygen, radio and/or communications, etc. If you do not understand, please ask!