In the unlikely event that you experience a failure situation, you should know what to do. Your instructor will demonstrate the skills and then give you time to practice. Here is what to do if the following occur.
- Failed Instruments (No Display): To simulate this situation, your instructor may signal something is wrong by pointing to the instruments and giving the no display/dead hand signal. You should then:
- Signal to your buddy, and follow ascent procedures.
- Simulate a safety stop (on your buddy’s advice), hover off the bottom for a few minutes, and ascend to the surface.
- Feeling Uncomfortable or Unwell: If you experience light-headedness, shortness of breath, nausea, visual disturbance, twitching, dizziness, and/or irritability:
- Check the depth and gas pressure.
- Take two or three full breaths.
- Advise your buddy.
- Out of Gas (Gas Sharing Ascent): In the unlikely event that you are low on gas or out of gas, you will need to signal that you are out of gas and share gas with your buddy. This is the same exercise you did in Confined Water Dive 2. Before you begin, make sure you are familiar with your buddy’s equipment.