Your RAID Instructor will demonstrate how to do the following.
- Ensure your cylinder is full.
- Try on the BCD to ensure size and fit. Check oral inflation and dump valves are working.
- Attach the BCD to the cylinder and check for correct height setting.
- Attach the first-stage regulator. Ensure the second-stage regulator and the alternative air source are on the right-hand side. Attach the low-pressure hose to the BCD power inflator.
- Turn on the gas slowly, and open all the way.
- Breathe on the second-stage regulator and alternative air source.
- Check the submersible pressure gauge (SPG) while breathing on the second stage and ensure the pressure gauge indication needle does not move. (If it does move when breathing on the second stage, the cylinder pillar valve has not been opened fully or there is a fault.)
- Inflate the BCD while using the power inflator, and ensure the pressure holds.
- Check for any pressure leaks.
- Switch on the dive computer, check the battery, and set the correct diving parameters.
Here are additional open circuit precautions.
- Always dive with a dive computer.
- End your dive and begin your ascent with 50 bar/750 psi minimum.
- Monitor your gauges and dive computer throughout the dive.