You will have an opportunity to practice surface snorkel swimming in confined water, but in the open water, there may be currents, waves, and longer distances to swim. Follow these guidelines when you are in open water.
- First, partially inflate your BCD (fully inflating will cause unnecessary drag).
- Streamline yourself, arms at your side.
- Set off in a steady comfortable pace, kicking from the hip.
- Keep your mask on with your head in the water, and breathe through your snorkel. If there is a little water in it, breathe out forcefully to clear it.
- Every now and again, look up to check on your direction and on your buddy.
- Don’t leave your buddy behind!