While dive planning is essential for conducting a safe dive, it is also important for divers to follow a few specific rules designed to encourage safe diving.
- Breathe continuously. Avoid lung overexpansion injuries by keeping an open airway.
- Ascend slowly to avoid DCS and pressure-related injuries.
- Monitor instruments. Avoid gas depletion, fast ascents, and DCS.
- Stay with your buddy. Your buddy gives you support if something goes wrong.
- Equalize to look after your ears and keep you comfortable underwater.