While dive planning is essential for conducting a safe dive, it is also important for divers to follow a few specific rules designed to encourage safe diving.
- Breathe continuously. Reduce the risk of lung overexpansion injuries by keeping an open airway.
- Ascend slowly to reduce the risk of DCS and pressure-related injuries.
- Monitor instruments. Try to avoid running low on or out of gas, do not make fast ascents, and dive well within NDLs.
- Stay with your buddy or dive professional. Your buddy or dive professional gives you support if something goes wrong.
- Equalize early and often to look after your ears and keep you comfortable underwater.