Prior to your first open water dive, you must complete a swim test. The reason for doing this is to prove you are reasonably fit and to demonstrate how comfortable you are in the water.
- You can complete the swim test in one of two ways.
- Complete a 200-meter/200-yard swim without stopping and without using a mask, snorkel, fins, or other swimming aids. Use of the sides is not permitted.
- Complete a 300-meter/300-yard swim without stopping while using a mask, snorkel, and fins. Use of the sides is not permitted.
- In addition, you must tread water or float on the surface for 10 minutes, without stopping and without using a mask, snorkel, fins, swimming aids, or the pool sides.
- The pool or confined water must be too deep to stand up in.