This is a new skill, and your instructor will demonstrate the correct use of a compass on land before you enter the water.
- Using a compass:
- Will help you find your way back to shore with less chance of becoming disoriented.
- Can also help you find your way between important underwater landmarks on your route.
- To navigate underwater with a compass:
- While on the surface, start with a simple North, East, South, and West orientation of the site you where will dive. This will help orient you with your surroundings.
- While underwater and neutrally buoyant, your instructor will ask you to swim a reciprocal (there and back) course for a distance of 10 meters/33 feet in a specific direction while using the compass.
- While still underwater, your instructor will ask you to use the compass and point in the direction where the land/boat is, and may even ask you to lead the way!